Where did that expression come from, anyway? It makes me think of old W.C. Fields’ movies, for some reason. I want to thank Hope, author of the amazingly fabulous TARTITUDE blog, for tagging me in this liars’ game!
I’m all for Little White Lies – not that I’m stupid enough to ask my husband if those pants make my ass look big (I’ve seen the numbers on the scale; don’t remind me). I think lies of the Little White persuasion keep us civilized, especially when they are told out of kindness.
Not that I’m Pinocchio or anything. I’m not a compulsive liar. In fact, I’m such a Pollyanna, every time even the eensiest lie leaves my lips my stomach starts to churn. I generally tangle myself up in so many unnecessary elaborations that it becomes instantly obvious I’m lying through my teeth. And where did that phrase come from?
One of my favorite books is Jennifer Crusie’s TELL ME LIES and I like this song a lot, too:
Since most of the people who follow this blog are writers or readers, you and I should be equally good at lying. It’s not really lying – we’re just telling stories! Which is part of the premise of another favorite Crusie book, the recently re-released THE CINDERELLA DEAL.
And here’s another appropriate song for this post:
Okay, here are seven statements about me. Only two are true – can you guess which they are?
1. I led the Pep Squad in high school, and I still have my pom-poms in a shadow box on the wall by my computer desk.
2. I have a twin sister who lives in Albuquerque; we’re fraternal twins – not identical. She’s the pretty one.
3. During Fashion Week, I was once flown to Paris to deliver a designer Zandra Rhodes gown and a pair of Manolo Blahnik stilettos to a fashion show.
4. Lobster is my favorite food, but I’ll eat anything that comes from the sea.
5. I was born on the Isle of Skye and still have relatives in Scotland.
6. I once won a Scotch whiskey taste test where the prize was a haggis. It was the first time I ever tasted Scotch; I told them they could keep the prize.
7. I’m a speed freak with a lead foot, and I’m secretly a NASCAR groupie.
I now hereby pass on the Liar’s Torch to these writers/bloggers ( in no particular order!):
1. Gabriella Edwards, Author: http://gabbegirl.blogspot.com/?zx=59e75550cfbc86cd
2. Tonya Kappes, Chasingheroes: http://chasingheroes.com/
3. Keri Stevens, Leap!: http://keristevens.blogspot.com/
4. Renee Vincent, Past the Print: http://pasttheprint.blogspot.com/
5. Jessica Davis, Don’t Call Me Jessie: http://notjessie.blogspot.com/
6. Monica Burns, Monica & Her Muse: http://monicaburns.blogspot.com/
7. Keta Diablo, Keta’s Keep: http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com/
Here are the rules, for those I have nominated:
1. Thank the person who gave this to you. (Thank you, Hope/Jan!)
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you.
4. Tell up to six outrageous lies about yourself, and at least one outrageous truth.
5. Nominate seven “Creative Writers” who might have fun coming up with outrageous lies.
6. Post links to the seven blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know you nominated them.
Can you tell when my nose was growing? For the truth about my Seven Deadly White-or-not-so-White Lies, check back later in the week!